Junior Leadership Rapid City Committee
Junior Leadership Committee Chair: Mike Albin
Junior Leadership Rapid City is a five week leadership program tailored to high school students. The program is sponsored by the Chamber of Commerce, Leadership Rapid City, and the local business community.
The aim of Junior LRC is to foster current and future leadership by offering young people opportunities to develop their leadership skills and to broaden their knowledge of the Rapid City community.
Participants in Junior LRC will have the opportunity to:
- Build leadership skills
- Practice professionalism
- Meet community leaders
- Learn about a variety of community-relevant topics
- Network with other young leaders
These opportunities will take the form of informational sessions, interactive workshops, on-site visits and tours, and class committee projects. Some specific program topics include community involvement, professionalism, health care, public safety, business, the arts and governmental affairs.
High school sophomores, juniors, and seniors from any Rapid City area public or private school, including Douglas High School and home-schooled students may apply.
Thanks to support from the Chamber, Leadership Rapid City, and sponsorships from community organizations, the personal cost for participants is only $50. This tuition fee is due after you have been accepted into the program.
The selection process for Jr LRC is competitive and requires the following:
- Print and complete the application available at the link below.
- Obtain two current letters of recommendation. More information and specific instructions for the letters of recommendation are included in the application.
- Submit your application and letters of recommendation to the Chamber Office by 5:00 p.m., Friday, December 1. You may mail or deliver your application materials (see the application for address and location of the Chamber Office). Late or incomplete applications will not be considered.
The Selection Committee will review all complete and eligible applications after the deadline and notify applicants of their decisions by mid-December.
If accepted, you will be required to:
- Commit to attending all of the sessions.
- Pay the $50 fee before the first class session. If you are unable to pay the fee, some scholarships are available.
- Work with a small committee of classmates to fulfill an assignment during the program.
- Participate in a community service project with your Jr. LRC class.
*We recognize that you may have a prior commitment for an important school activity which conflicts with your attendance at one of the sessions. Under special circumstances the admissions committee may grant an excused absence, but will only consider doing so if you provide an adequate explanation in your application.
|4 – 8 p.m.||Orientation to Leadership
South Dakota School of Mines & Technology - Surbeck Center
501 E. St. Joseph St.
|4 - 8 p.m.||Health Care in Rapid City
Rapid City Regional Hospital
353 Fairmont Blvd.
|12:00 – 6 p.m.||Military Day
Ellsworth Air Force Base
SD National Guard - Camp Rapid
2823 W. Main St.
|4 - 8 p.m.||Rapid City Government
Pennington County Courthouse
315 St. Joseph St.
Public Safety Building
2ND Floor Training Room
300 Kansas City St.
|8 a.m. – 3 p.m.||South Dakota Government, Downtown / Arts
South Dakota School of Mines & Technology
501 E. St. Joseph St.
Suzie Cappa Art Center
722 St. Joseph St.
|6 – 8 p.m.||
Dinner and Program Presentation of Certificates
Donna Hanks, Chair
Mike Albin, Chair Elect
Tony Perkins, Past Chair
Dawn Connor, Member At Large
Chamber Events+ View All
When: 10:00am / Dahl Arts Center+ Learn More
When: 8:00am /+ Learn More
When: 4:30pm / Firehouse Wine Cellars+ Learn More
When: 5:00pm / Dahl Arts Center+ Learn More