Leadership Rapid City Committee
Committee Chair: Sandra Schwan
Committee Liaison: Linda Rabe
1ST Thursday ea. month
Board Room 207
PROGRAM OF WORK (pdf)
Leadership Rapid City (LRC), sponsored by the Rapid City Area Chamber of Commerce, was organized in 1981. Since inception it has graduated more than 1000 leaders into the Rapid City area. The 12 week program is designed to promote a better understanding of this community, build and enhance leadership skills, and develop a strong network of community leaders.
LRC will be seeking applicants for the 2018 class who are interested in learning more about our community and attaining their leadership goals.
Here is why:
The purpose of LRC is reflected in these goals:
- Education - learning community challenges and opportunities
- Orientation - structure and features of the community
- Training - leadership skill building
- Connection - networking between class members and community leaders
- Enhance and build on their personal leadership talents
- Expand awareness and appreciation for challenges and opportunities
- Develop network of connections into the community
- Exposure to future leadership opportunities in career and community
- See enhanced potential from participants through exposure to broadened perspectives
- Greater corporate/organizational community involvement and visibility
- Opportunities to affect positive change
- Benefit through the many projects such as the following:
Parade of Lights, Junior Leadership, Summer Nights, Once Upon a Festival, Founder's Park, Day of Excellence, and Movies Under The Stars
- Inherit emerging, committed, effective leaders
The selection of the Leadership class is based on a competitive process composed of a written application in essay form. The application and 2 letters of reference must be submitted by June 29 - 5:00 p.m.
- Evidence of leadership abilities
- Interest in community affairs
- Potential to provide leadership to the Rapid City community
- Desire to expand volunteer involvement
Basic criteria for applicants includes:
- Evidence of current and/or previous commitment to community service
- Interest in volunteer or public office leadership role
- Potential for service within one’s own organization
For your convenience, a sample application (PDF format) is available for your review. Please open and print. This will help you formulate your responses to the questions before applying online.
LRC SAMPLE APPLICATION (PDF)
For additional information or questions, please call 343-1744. Submittal deadline is 5:00 p.m. June 29.
- Participants and their organizations must be willing to commit the necessary time it takes to fully participate in the program
- Being on time and regular attendance is imperative
- Class members may have no more than two absences.
Attendance is critical and all necessary arrangements should be made prior to applying. If class members are absent more than two sessions, they will not graduate with the class, but may complete the necessary classes the following year to earn accreditation.
11 weekly sessions beginning September. Sessions held every Thursday with the exception of:
- Retreat - 2-day
- Military session - all day
- Graduation - the 12th and final session, date to be determined
Brendan Murphy, Class 2017 Rep
Linda Rabe, Liaison
Hugh Boyle, Board Liaison
Committee Membership Application
If you are interested in serving on the Leadership Rapid City board and you are a paid alum, click on the application, print, complete and mail to the address noted on the application. Leadership Rapid City Board Application (pdf)
Chamber Events+ View All
When: 12:00am / Sleep Number Rapid City, SD+ Learn More
When: 8:00am / James Kjerstad Event Center+ Learn More
When: 3:30pm / Elks Theatre+ Learn More
When: 5:00pm / Rushmore Plaza Holiday Inn+ Learn More